The COMTO Washington State Scholarship Committee will review all applications and evaluate each based on the following criteria (100 points possible):
Grade Point Average, Cumulative (20 points)
- 4.0 – 3.8 (20 pts)
- 3.8 – 3.6 (18 pts)
- 3.6 – 3.4 (16 pts)
- 3.4 – 3.2 (14 pts)
- 3.2 – 3.0 (12 pts)
- 3.0 – 2.8 (10 pts)
Personal Essay (25 points)
- Score based on content, grammar, spelling, flow of ideas and applicant’s answers to the COMTO WS required essay questions.
Participation in Career-related Activities (20 points)
- Professional organization, memberships or club involvement.
- Trainings, workshops, projects related to career field.
School and Community Engagement (20 points)
- Volunteer or community work performed.
- School involvement (clubs, extra-curricular activities, etc.).
- Involvement outside school (jobs, clubs, etc.).
- Recognition or awards.
References (15 points)
- Two letters of recommendation for the Mt. Rainier Graduate Scholarship.
- One letter for all other scholarships.
- Should demonstrate the relationship between the candidate and the person writing the reference.
- Should speak to the applicant’s relevant work, character or other related qualities.
Following the application review, students may be asked for additional information via email or may be asked to participate in a virtual interview with the Scholarship Committee. Prospective awardees should use an email and/or phone number that they check frequently so that any contact about additional information needed to make award determinations can be shared before the evaluations are completed.
The committee will select candidates with the highest point totals for each scholarship.
Award Notification and Issuance
Awardees will receive notification on or before May 1, 2023 about award determinations. COMTO Washington State will award a check for the scholarship amount made payable to the institution the student will be attending (as demonstrated in the application).
- A copy of their college enrollment registration for the term stated in the application.
- The address and contact information for the school’s financial aid or student accounts office (whichever will be applying the funds to the student’s account).
- Note: The student must provide their student account number/student ID number with this information.
The scholarship award is for use during the current academic year or term immediately following award, with forfeiting of any remaining funds.
By accepting the award, applicants agree that COMTO can use their name, photo and other limited information to demonstrate chapter activities and/or awards given.